June 23, 2008

A Day by the Sea


A clifftop hike along the English coastline.
I thank the Lord for the beautiful weather on this day!

 
An old-fashioned steam train.

 
Could England get any more charming than this?






The ruins of Corfe Castle.





The lovely town of Corfe Castle. (notice the ruins in the background)





I stopped at a tea room and had a spot of tea
with cucumber sandwiches.





The sea meets the cliffs. The water was the most
beautiful mix of blues and greens.



The white chalk cliffs were breathtaking.



Dorset's famous Durdle Door.



Cottages with thatched roofs. Lovely.


On Sunday I was very fortunate to be able to go along on an excursion given by Discover Dorset Tours. They are a local company that leads tours all around the region of Dorset and to nearby cities. A lady here at the college tipped me off that I should call Discover Dorset and introduce myself as Richard Language College's new summer Social Organiser. She told me that in the past they have let social organisers go on tours for free! I called them up and introduced myself and asked if per chance they had an open seat on one of their upcoming Sunday tours. The friendly woman booked me straight away, free of charge, on their Jurassic Coast tour. Brilliant!

We spent the day touring the beautiful coastline of the area. This region is reputed to have some of the most beautiful coastline of all of Great Britain. It was called the "Jurassic Coast Tour" because many dinosaur remains were found in this region and we were able to view preserved dinosaur footprints. We were even taken to a beach where we hunted for our own fossils. I am happy to report that I did indeed find a few! And they are mine to keep! The sea, the cliffs, and the English countryside were so beautiful that I could never describe it in words. Hopefully you can get a small taste of the beauty by my pictures above!

We spent about 2 hours in the little town of Corfe Castle. It was so quaint and just what you'd imagine a little English village to look like. It was here that I took the chance to stop in a tea room and order a oh-so-typically-English lunch: a pot of tea for one and cucumber sandwiches followed by a rich cappuccino cake.
Our tour group consisted of myself, two Romanian ladies, a German girl, a couple from the Czech Republic, a family of four from the Netherlands, two young Arab men, and three young Italian boys. Quite the group! We had a great time together. It was a wonderful day full of lots of hiking and endless incredible sights. I am so thankful that I was tipped off about getting to share in this wonderful excursion free of charge!

Once again as I have traveled abroad, God has blessed me immensely, even just in this first week, with amazing experiences and most importantly, wonderful people. I can already tell that I have made a life-long friend in Jane, the British lady who helps at the college. I don't think I have met anyone here more endearing than her. Again I receive endless blessings from God.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Dave & Jeannie Perry said...

I'm so glad that you are having a great time! I love reading about your adventures - I almost feel as if I'm with you!
Love you,
Mom Perry

Papa Bear said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It makes us want to be there too. Keep up with the good work on your blog.
God bless and take care.
Love,
Aunt Joyce & Uncle Jerry

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...