July 21, 2011

Gone With the Wind

I have mentioned before my adoration for antique books.

On Sunday, my father-in-law presented me with an antique copy of Margaret Mitchell's classic Gone With the Wind that he had picked up at a garage sale. He is so incredibly thoughtful! {thanks, Dad!}

I am especially thrilled with this gift because of my love affair with Gone With the Wind. Yes, we do have a love affair.




And look! The book is a beautiful shade of baby blue... 




{Upon research, I discovered that this is a book club edition print}



Back to the love affair...

My love affair started when I first saw the Gone With the Wind movie at age eight. I instantly became obsessed. I watched it over and over, mesmerized by the story and the complex, vivacious character of Scarlett O'Hara. I was fascinated by the actress Vivien Leigh's portrayal of Scarlett, and I was also certain that she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived.

Thus, my Gone With the Wind collection started. And grew, and grew. I had two huge GWTW movie posters on my wall and even a GWTW clock. I still have all these memorabilia...tucked into a box somewhere. Among them is all my Hallmark GWTW special edition Christmas ornaments I was gifted year after year and my GWTW watch that plays the movie theme song.

As I teenager, I read the book and loved that, too, but it was the movie that I truly first fell in love with.

I have a beautiful book dedicated to all things GWTW {but mostly the movie}:




It has gorgeous movie stills and gives all kinds of history and background behind the book and the movie.





I also have this book: 



One of my most cherished GWTW treasures is this beautiful music box, given to me by my wonderful sister Erin when I was in high school.

Since then, it has always sat on my dresser.






I used to wind it up before I got into bed at night so that I could listen to the lovely little tune as I drifted off into dreamland.




Do you have a love affair with any particular movie?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...