December 8, 2011

Tree Reflections

One of my very favorite things at Christmastime is sitting in front of the Christmas tree, staring at all the pretty little twinkle lights hiding amongst the branches, and pondering many thoughts. The TV is off, our home is silent, and the living room is lit only by the light of the tree.



These are the some of the sacred moments when I truly just stop and take the time to reflect upon the real meaning of Christmas. Even as Christian, it is so easy for me to get sidetracked this time of year. Thinking about the Birth of Jesus Christ goes to the back of my mind because I am so busy doing and focusing on all the many events.


I am such a "traditions" girl...I love watching Christmas movies, baking cookies and other treats, shopping for and wrapping up gifts, listening to Christmas music basically non-stop, and doing all kinds of other little traditions that are personal to me. And there's nothing wrong with any of those things. It's just that if I'm being entirely honest, I do have to really put forth a great effort to make sure that Jesus Christ stays at the center of my focus during the holidays. There are so many, many other things to do and think about.



One thing that has really brought the Christmas story alive for me is the film "The Nativity Story" which came out in 2007. Even though it is a mere interpretation of the Christmas Story, I really feel as though I have seen the events been a part of them. When I watch it, the story becomes so much more personal and real to me. I love how the film depicts the journey of Mary, from hearing from the angel that she has been chosen to carry Jesus, to the struggle and development of her relationship with Joseph, to the actual birth itself. If you haven't seen this film, I would recommend that is the ONE film you make sure you watch this Christmas.

Something about the peace and quiet of sitting in front of my tree helps to fade out all the distractions of the Christmas season. Suddenly, all I can think about is the beauty and the miracle of Christ's humble entrance to this world. I love to imagine what that one night was like; the night that forever changed the world. I am certain that all those involved, from Mary and Joseph, to the Wise Men and the shepherds, knew the incredible significance of it all. I wonder and wonder at what it would have been like to be there and feel what they were feeling.

I believe that if we all take the time to reflect, take the time to search our hearts, we too, can be a part of the miracle of Jesus Christ's birth. And for me, there comes a very precious moment, when my heart fills with awe, my soul is overwhelmed, and tears come to my eyes because I can feel it, really feel it--the absolute, perfect beauty and magic of the birth of our precious Lord and Savior.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...