October 24, 2011

October Moon

There is something about Halloween that I have always loved. Though Christmas will always be my favorite holiday, Halloween and Thanksgiving are in a close tie for second.




Black cats, witches brooms, jack-o-lanterns, and general spookiness have all enticed me from a young age. I used to create Halloween decorations from crayons, markers, stickers, construction paper, and glitter to adorn every inch of my bedroom door. These creations were proudly pulled out and stuck to my door {with good 'ole masking tape} for maybe three or four years in elementary school and junior high.


At age twelve, for my own general amusement, I decided to write a continuation of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than to create one's own spooky story? {Although I realize mine wasn't very original since my story stemmed out of Washington Irving's classic short story}.


Then there were the Halloween costumes I created for my animals growing up, complete with photo shoots. I have our dog, Cassie, posed next to pumpkins in a ballerina tutu and also one with Cassie as "Rambo." She had a bandanna wrapped around her head, an original Nintendo {orange} gun propped up next to her, and I was able to snap the photo in the instant I got her to growl. It's pretty awesome.


I also created a costume for my gerbil, Pepper. I cut out a little eye patch and cape in a snake-print fabric and put them on Pepper to make him a pirate. That photo is pretty awesome, too. Needless to say, I had some incredibly patient, cooperative pets.


I've really never grown out of the excitement of the Halloween spirit. Just the other day, I got inspired and created a lantern to add a bit of spookiness to our living room.

I started with a black-striped DSW shoe store bag, colored the brown parts of the paper bag orange, cut out a pumpkin shape, added a scary jack-o-lantern face, and lit it up with a candle.

Matt and I have already watched some of our own favorite Halloween flicks, like:
~The Black Cauldron {Matt's Disney pick}
~Sleepy Hollow {Johnny Depp version}
~The Crucible {mostly in honor of the book I just finished reading about the Salem Witch trials}
~The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad {Disney's classic telling of "Legend of Sleepy Hollow"}
~Hocus Pocus {my personal favorite by far, and per my tradition, MUST be watched on Halloween day!}

Often during these October evenings, when Matt is busy playing Xbox and Annabelle is curled up on the couch, tired from her walks, I slip out onto our patio to enjoy the sweet fall air and some splendid October views.





The cool air that October brings always leaves me desiring to curl up and get cozy. A couple of my favorite things to warm me up are:

A hot mug of coffee

I am in love with my Harry Potter mug.

And a furry friend who curls up and sleeps in my lap


I am quite certain I'll never outgrow my love for Halloween. I find the origins of this holiday and its traditions fascinating. If you want to learn more, read here.

2 comments:

KAI said...

Hi,:) I accidentaly came across your blog and I saw the Harry Potter mug! I love it! Where did you get it pleease ? :)

Deanne Perry said...

Hi Rachel, I wasn't able to find an email address for you, so I'm hoping you'll check back here to see my reply! I bought my Harry Potter Mug from "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at the Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando, Florida. You might be able to get it online from the Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios website. So I'd check there first. This is one of my favorite mugs EVER!!! ~Deanne

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...