September 22, 2011

Curried Rice with Chicken

If you love curry, then this recipe is for you! This was a new recipe I had tried out from Real Simple magazine and Matt and I both loved it!

Curried Rice with Chicken

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tsp. curry powder
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken,* chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil




Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.

Add the garlic and curry and cook, stirring until fragrant, 2 minutes.

Add the rice, 2 1/2 cups of water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Fold in the chicken* and basil until well incorporated.

Serve and enjoy!


{Side note one: I used coconut curry power that I had bought in Trinidad. If you can ever find coconut curry powder--buy it! It is amazing!}

{Side note two: I served peas as a side with this dish, and Matt and I discovered that the dish is even more delicious with the peas mixed in! Next time I make this dish, I will probably add the peas directly into the recipe.}

*{Side note three: This dish originally calls for shrimp, but I don't eat seafood, so I used chicken instead. If you want to do the shrimp, the original recipe alters the last step a bit. First, season the shrimp with salt and pepper, then nestle them into the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes until the shrimp are opaque throughout. Then fold in basil and serve.}

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...