July 29, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

I grew up on these cookies and they are by far my favorite. Now they're Matt's favorite, too! If you love mint, you must try this recipe.

This isn't simply an average chocolate chip cookie recipe using mint chips instead of regular chocolate ones. The recipe for the dough itself is different, and a major reason I love this cookie so much. It's made with oil rather than butter, so the cookies come out white and not a golden-brown color. The oil also keeps these cookies super-moist, even a few days after baking.

{When I was a little girl, I entered these cookies in our county fair. I got bad marks because the judge said the cookies' color was off. My mom kindly reassured me that the judge didn't do his/her job right, because if they'd looked at the recipe I submitted, they clearly would have seen that the cookies weren't supposed to be brown.}


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 3/4 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
10 oz. bag of mint chocolate chips*

{*Note: They used to make bags of mint chocolate chips, but I haven't been able to find those for many years. Now I use Andes Mint chips, which are sold in some, not all, stores in the baking aisle. If you can't find the Andes chips, you can use regular chocolate chips and add a few teaspoons of mint flavoring to the dough instead.}



Mix oil and sugar...



then beat in the eggs and vanilla.



Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together; gradually add to the mixture.
{The dough becomes super thick by the end of this process} 



Stir in chocolate chips.
{I use my mixer on low speed for this, then use a wooden spoon at the end to make sure any missed chips sitting on the bottom of the bowl get incorporated into the dough.}

Refrigerate dough for one hour.
*WARNING!!! The one hour refrigeration process may leave you finding endless excuses to make extra trips to the fridge and take little tastes of the very, very delicious dough!!!



After one hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Shape the dough into small balls and dip the top half of ball into sugar.
Place dough sugar side up on an ungreased cookie sheet.



Bake for 10-12 minutes.




Cool on a wire cooling rack.

Make sure to eat one or two warm and fresh out of the oven! They are so gooey and absolutely melt-in-your-mouth....

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Meg said...

These look amazing! I'm worried there wouldn't be any cookie dough left after it was done chilling in the fridge......

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...